22 June, 2007

Up North

Dearest Dears,
I am in Haridwar right now, getting ready to head up to Gangotri tomorrow morning. There have been all sorts of adventures involving nearly missed trains, etc -- but for the moment I just have time to tell the upcoming itinerary. Internet access is scarce here and will be totally gone once we head off on the morrow.

I'm travelling with a few other students from the program in Varanasi. We get on a bus tomorrow morning at 5AM and spend the entire day riding into the Himalayas. Hopefully the bus will get in before dark, but timing in India is less than dependable, especially wth travel plans.

We will spend our first day in Gangotri adjusting to the altitude, then the others will embark on a three day trek to Gomuhk to see the glacier where the Ganga begins. I will probably stay behind for that, since I'm feeling rather weaker than normal, after this month of dealing with India. There is an ashram there that is run by an English female sadhu where we hope to stay -- I'm especially interested in talking with her since I've had a particularly hard time understanding Hindu worship, and the place of women in Hinduism, etc. So maybe she can help me appreciate this religion a bit more.

Once they return from the trek they will probably head on to do some more hiking, seeing Dodi Tal and Yamunotri. I, however, will be heading back down and over to Dharmsala, arriving on July 1st. I'll be spending the month in retreat there in a Buddhist convent. It also looks as though the timing will be perfect for me to see the Dalai Lama teach -- he'll be there from July 7-? Happy Birthday Mom! I'll take notes and pictures for you :)

I love you all and miss you tons.
Take care, and I'll be back in touch at the start of July.
xoxoxox

No comments: