10 June, 2007

Please pardon the recent silence. I've been going through a bit of culture shock and homesickness, so it's been all I could do to simply make it through the daily routine of activities and lessons. I think the heat and the lack of proper nutrition have simply started catching up with me. At the moment my idea of heaven is sitting on my dad's front porch enjoying good company and some freshly grilled meat and veggies. But until I get that again, I'm learning to exist in a different state.

Last night I came in on the second half of a great little documentary film on India: "Hello Photo" by Nina Davenport. If any of you can get your hands on a copy, it's well worth watching -- it will really give you a taste of my present surroundings. There is no commentary or explanation in it to speak of. She just abandons the viewer in various settings, to interpret and absorb on their own terms... If Rochelle W. is reading this, I think you would really like it (and if you can get a copy, make my dad watch it with you :)

Tomorrow I will hopefully be taking an overnight trip to Bodhgaya with one of our professors and one other student. It's the place where Buddha attained enlightenment. I'm excited to have the chance to be back in a Buddhist setting -- and this time we'll have the luxury of extra time, and fewer people, so we can really just relax in the silence and meditate. There is nothing silent or restful that I've seen so far about the Hinduism surrounding me here, so this will be a welcome retreat.

That's all for now. I hope you are all happy and well.
Much love, e

2 comments:

Ben said...

Hey, guess I'll have to clean up the front porch. Oh I've got a couple weeks at least, no need to rush into things.

Take care of yourself dear, it's nice to hear you're homesick, but you might be Indiasick if you were home. We love you.

LOVE YOUR DAD

Rochelle said...

It appears you are experiencing a whole range from wonders to discomfort .......you relay your experience so well that I’m also feeling the heat…..but then it’s hot here……not as hot as there I'm sure…

I went on line and looked up the video Hello Photo and it is available as a download…so as soon as I can get to a DSL I will do that…..I also checked out the library and got some very funny responses …

here’s a few.........
Hello Out There Vocal Score
Hello Peanut
Hello Shoes
Hello Snow
Hello Squirrels Scampering Through the Seasons
Hello Robots
Hello School Bus

and the list goes on.

Miss you but love the letters

Keep well ......Love ya....Rochelle