It all started with the casual convergence of the start of summer with an interesting invitation from my friend (and Oslo couchsurfing host) Linn: Linn sent out a call, requesting handmade rabbits. I couldn't say no to such a request, so I started brainstorming. This convergence was accompanied by my discovery of ravelry, an online community of knitters. It's an amazing way to find patterns, and see how they're turning out for others, and search for yarns, and see how they're being used...
In case you didn't know this about me, I tend to get obsessed with projects. In Jr. High, when I was painting the mural in my bedroom, I would forget to eat, and find my body cramped and aching after hours of painting the ceiling. It's dangerous for someone like me to discover something like ravelry. I just can't stop knitting.
So it started innocently with a bunny:
Kitty B isn't impressed.
Is she laughing or yawning? Jacob says she's singing, which is probably true, judging from how vocal our little girl is. In any case, she didn't really befriend the bunny as I hoped she might (I was imagining some super sweet pictures of her sniffing it, or napping with it...). I guess it's better that they didn't make friends, as the rabbit will be shipped out to Oslo soon.
Once I got started on the bunny, I started to think about how I have all of this yarn that I inherited from Kendra and Aimee -- and really, I should start using it up (danger! danger!)... So I decided to teach myself to knit lace (yikes!). Now I can't stop knitting the scarf that I'm making for Eden. You may be asking what a little girl is supposed to do with a fluffy mohair lace scarf that reaches to her knees. I don't know either. But I do know that she is probably the only person I know who has a chance of properly appreciating this bright pink yarn that I got from Aimee. So there you have it.
If knitting up a storm isn't enough, I've also been busy making things in the kitchen. I've been experimenting with new recipes (well, I start with a new recipe, and then modify it well beyond recognition... They're more like guidelines, points of departure). I've been learning how to use the slow cooker we were given for Christmas (what a fun thing!), and branching out in the bread realm too (getting beyond our old standby loaves of whole wheat/7 grain from the bread machine). Some successes from the past week are curried chicken and potatoes, some hefty whole wheat baguettes, and some tasty honey granola (using some delicious dried cherries brought for us by one of our couchsurfing guests!).
I don't exactly know why I'm making all this stuff, except that it feels good to be productive in this quiet domestic way. Maybe it also has something to do with the fact that this is the first summer since 2002 that I haven't spent mostly/partially abroad. It feels good to be home making things. As I said in the last post, I have plenty to sort through -- so I might as well keep my hands busy while I'm at it.
3 comments:
I love that bunny! And Kitty B is adorable, too. Maybe you could knit Kitty B a yarn kitty friend.
I got a subscription to Food & Wine magazine for xmas and have been plotting these epic feasts ever since. I have yet to follow through. But I agree that there is something wonderful about Home, the idea that your private life is important enough to spend all this time on.
Love you-- glad you're blogging again. :)
I'm totally domestically disabled, but I still want to go make things with you! Or you can come here, but I'd wait until October....
Hey you know I could use a pink scarf. And it is Father's Day tomorrow when you get here! I suppose it's kind of late notice, but maybe you could do Eden's later.
Post a Comment