03 October, 2009

The best birthday ever!

Due to a certain large event in Pittsburgh last week (G20), our university had to cancel classes on Wed., Thurs., and Fri., leaving me free as a bird on my birthday. So Jacob and I used this lovely break to get out of town and visit Betsey, Jay, and the girlies in Skaneateles, NY.


Usually my birthday falls on a day when I'm busy at school from morning to night, with rehearsals, etc. And while I've had some lovely birthdays like that before, it seemed like an amazing luxury to actually be able to take a vacation and spend my special day with beloved family. I've been wanting to visit these cousins of mine for ages -- and I've really been wanting Jacob to get a chance to get to know them (cause they're some of my faves!) -- so this was just perfect: birthday with my goddaughter and family!


Skaneateles is a lovely village in the fingerlakes region of NY. Just when we visited was the time where the weather was really starting to feel like fall to me. I really loved walking out in the fresh air by the water. Despite what you see in this picture, there was also a great deal of clear blue sky... Crisp fall weather is my favorite!

The best part about being there was getting to hang out with Bets, Jay, and the girls. Eden has grown so much since the last time I saw her (my wedding! can you believe it had been so long?) -- she is so creative, and is such a loving sister. It was so much fun playing with her!

Nem was a joy to hang out with too! I think she's a philosopher in that tiny sweet body (she and Jacob sure got along well)! I got in a nice long cuddle with her on my birthday, and that was one of the sweetest presents ever.


It was especially fun for me to see Jacob playing with the girls. This was the first time that he'd really spent much time with little kids, and he's a natural. Here he is, in Eden's fort -- I'm not sure if any adult had ever taken her up on her invitation to come in!

She was SO excited!

On my birthday we had a wonderful meal featuring squash from their beautiful garden! Yummy!

And for dessert: Carrot cake! A favorite family recipe -- even used in two weddings (Rick and Mary, Bets and Jay)!
(I believe the white candles represented 10s, the yellow was 5, and the blue were 1s... 27!)

Thinking back on this trip makes me feel so warm and happy. There was so much love and laughter. It felt so good to be with my dear family, just doing quiet family things. I couldn't imagine a better gift than this abundance of love.

3 comments:

Alyssa the Ragamuffin said...

Oh I'm so glad you got to RELAX on your birthday and be with family. Happy birthday again. And again, I'm so very glad you were born. you have brought joy to my life!

The Davis Family said...

Oh what fun! We loved every moment of you both being here. Eden is still raving about Jacob, and your trip here made us wish we lived closer to you! We love you so much!!! Thanks for sharing your birthday with us!

Unknown said...

beautiful, kids, you, birthday, cousins, philosopher smiling in the tent, cake, you, house, sky, finger lakes, you, family, love POPS