20 December, 2008

back from the depths

I've completed my first semester of grad school...

Sorry for the long silence -- I've wanted to write, and have had plenty to write about, but that's just it: I have been busier than I ever would have imagined. I always thought that people pursuing a masters in music performance had all the time in the world, and just had to practice, practice, practice. But I've been running around like a chicken with its head cut off all semester long. Rehearsals, concerts, library work, more rehearsals, classes, papers, lessons, teaching, more rehearsals...

But now I'm back, with a renewed desire to make time for writing here. Now that it's winter break, I want to spend a little time catching up on some of the bigger events of the semester -- and hopefully this posting flurry will settle down into a good habit that I'll maintain in the new year... I can't promise anything, but that's the hope.

So. Grad school.
I'm working on a masters in cello performance. My last teacher resigned for a number of reasons over the summer, so I've spent this semester developing a rapport with my new teacher. At first I was really worried about making this switch, but it's turned out for the best. I love my new teacher -- I think he's exactly what I need at the moment. So I've been playing a lot and getting a lot of good work done. I think I've really grown as a cellist in the past couple months.

The other major development with grad school for me is that I finally have the quartet that I've been searching for over the past 8 years! I worked over the summer to pull this group together, and I am delighted with the results. We rehearse quite a lot every week, and have been performing together a good deal too. I have high hopes for working with them over the next two years (and more?). I've never felt such an immediate chemistry with a group before, and luckily this is backed up with hard work and commitment from all the members too. It's really a joy.

I have an assistantship that pays for my tuition, so I spend part of my week working for that. I am one of two orchestra librarians for the school symphony, assisting Mr. Harth. In addition to that, I spend a few hours a week teaching for the string techniques class (teaching private lessons to the education majors who are trying to learn all the instruments). It's fun, good work, and I enjoy it generally.

So that's the school side of life these days. There are also limited academics involved, but this semester has been rather lackluster there. I expect I'll have more to report next semester when my favorite professor returns from sabbatical.

No comments: