12 May, 2008

Quite an end to the semester...

And she's graduated!

I went to both the big University commencement ceremony (where former Pgh Steeler Jerome Bettis told us the three stages of life: learn, earn, and return), and the diploma ceremony for the Music School.

Here I am with one of my favorite teachers -- she taught my music history course this year, as well as the grad course on Debussy that I had this semester.


...and here is the amazing bunch of flowers that Dad and Renie sent to me in celebration of it all


But before we made it to graduation, there was a lot of work to do... Most of all, the RECITAL. Here I am with my cello teacher, Anne.


And here I am on stage after playing the recital. I played Bach's d minor suite (#2), a suite for solo cello by Harbison, and Beethoven's last cello sonata (#5, D Major).


I think that the recital went quite well, considering all of the trials of this semester -- although I'm considering playing it again in the fall, just to have a second go at it (I was physically shaking all through the Bach, so wasn't really able to enjoy it). I would like to be able to remember the program for the music, not for the physical and mental struggle that defined it this time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the midst of all that end-of-school chaos, we had to get in a little relaxation -- so here were are watching the Pirates play. They didn't win, but we had fun anyway.


And here are the cousins, at long last, together again. We only got to spend a couple hours together, before my conducting final, but it was glorious to catch up after almost three years.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS DEAR
I'm very proud of you and you look great and I hope Germany's the best.

love POPS

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS Nora on graduating! A good feeling I'm sure! In fact your pix seem to show a lot of good feelings all around. The one of the two cousins is sweet. I've done some calculations and have concluded that you are just a year off...I believe it was almost FOUR whole years ago, July 4th, 2005 when we were all together that last time out in Hull, on the porch at sunset, eating Chinese food and watching the fireworks across the Boston Harbor...but wait, hold those tears! Thanks to you, we have another reunion to look foward to, in Pgh of all places, and at a wedding no less! Looking foward! xx Auntie Roz

Anonymous said...

PS is there any way to delete my comment?? fuzzy math going on here in Maine...I need to go back to first grade. Three years...you're right a usual...

xx

Gemma said...

YAAAAYYYYY Eleanor! Congratulations on graduating! Also, when are you leaving for Deutschland and what are you doing there? I know you are going, but not the details. This maybe deserves an email, but I can't access gmail at work, even tho I can read blogs all the livelong day... anyway... xoxoxo