For Thanksgiving break this year I had the distinct privilage of visiting Jacob's family in Virginia. We were both certainly ready for the break, and it felt amazing to be able to rest and relax a bit. I loved being able to walk with Jacob through the setting of his childhood -- see the house where he grew up, hear all the stories that would only spring from this setting...
Roanoke is surrounded by beautiful country, and we were fortunate to come when the weather was unseasonably warm. There is a section of the Appalachian trail that runs nearby, and we made a point to hike up to a certain group of rocks with a spectacular view at every chance we had. It was a short and pleasant hike up -- and sitting there, drinking in the landscape, I could feel all the pressures of my academic life evaporating...
Roanoke is surrounded by beautiful country, and we were fortunate to come when the weather was unseasonably warm. There is a section of the Appalachian trail that runs nearby, and we made a point to hike up to a certain group of rocks with a spectacular view at every chance we had. It was a short and pleasant hike up -- and sitting there, drinking in the landscape, I could feel all the pressures of my academic life evaporating...
Thanksgiving Day
Here we are on Thanksgivng Day -- the rest of the family is inside that house in the background (which belongs to Jacob's aunt and uncle). With the sun hitting just right, I think Jacob's firey beard rivals the brightest trees in the landscape!
Here's a nice shot of Jacob and his dad, Roger. Unfortunately I am terrible at remembering to take pictures at family gatherings, so this is the only one I got...
1 comment:
Hi, hon,
Only today did I wait long enough to see all the pictures download. I keep thinking you look more like your mom all the time, but then in one or two you look like your dad, but in the one with the mountains in the background and your short hair you look SO much like Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music.
Thanks for letting us all see these glimpses of your happy life.
Love,
Nancye
Post a Comment