I'm writing to you from the local internet cafe in the village of Sidhpur, home to Thosamling nunnery. I've been here for a few days, enjoying the quiet, friendly surroundings -- life in a Buddhist convent seems to be quite peaceful and lovely.
This particular convent is an international community of women practicing in a Tibetan tradition. I can't tell if there are any stationary nuns here -- from what I've gathered in conversation, nuns from other places come here for a matter of years to study (they have classes in Tibetan language/ other Buddhist topics...), then return to their original places (a handful of the current ones are from Australia). I could be totally wrong -- these are just my impressions from my first few days.
Most of the nuns and other residents/visitors went up to McLeod Gang today for the Dalai Lama birthday festivities. I decided that I would be dealing with plenty of crowds over the next week, and that I'd celebrate down here in peace! Tomorrow is the start of a week of teachings given by the Dalai Lama, so I'll be heading up early every morning in a taxi with others from the convent. I have no idea what to expect, but since this is India, I'm sure there will be crowds, pressing close! I can't really believe that in 24 hours I'll have seen the Dalai Lama... I hardly can even believe he's real.
Judging from many of the comments I've received from this, I fear I've been giving a negative picture of India. The continual rounds of illness and despicable staring/groping men and garbage polluting everywhere and EXTREME poverty are all inescapable here. It is a constant onslaught, and thoroughly exhausting. But then there is all the beauty... The people, the colors, the spices, the landscape, the architecture, the art, the temples, the animals... The total sensory overload on that end of the spectrum is exhausting as well. It's impossible to remain a spectator here -- the good and bad own you completely the moment you step off the plane. And in this way, even the good is hard to stand sometimes, so forgive my negativity.
As for the health -- please don't worry. I've been through the wringer several times, but there is still more than enough flesh on these bones. And I'm in high spirits, which is the most important thing here, I think.
Can't wait to tell you about this next week!
Love to all!
06 July, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Dearest honey,
And also happy birthday to your dear Mama! 070707 has to be the best birthday anybody ever had. But don't you miss our wonderful birthday parties?
I am so thankful to hear that you are getting well.
And just the teeniest bit jealous that you will share in the grace and blessings of the Dalai Lama's presence this week. How I love him, how I would love to hear and see him. I have read a couple of his books and he is smarter than anybody I have ever met, despite his simple message of love and happiness. He is my ideal and I think the holiest person alive. I have written a couple of pieces using his statement, "My religion is kindness."
Can't wait to hear how you like him.
Lots of love,
Nancye
The Dalai Lama! How wonderful. I also can't wait to hear about your week. Always thinking of you.
Gem
How wonderful for you to be in the presence of the Dalai Lama. Catch some of that glow and bring it back to Minneapolis…..I just saw a picture in the newspaper of the birthday celebration and can’t wait to hear your version.
Thanks so much for letting us tag along through the ups, downs, I love all your stories adventures, and what you said so well “the good and bad owns you…” said in the spirit of a true adventurer.
Stay well, eat more eat less breath in breath out ….. waiting for the next installment.
Love you much ……. Rochelle
hey nomad nora, loving your blogging...wish I could have been celebrating Dalai Lama's b-day with him there in India...I'm eager to hear what you think about his teachings...I love how he focuses on compassion and tolerance and his sense of humor.
So, I'm thinking about you a lot over there in Inja and sending you lots of LOVE, xo liz
Post a Comment