31 May, 2007

Full Moon, New Month

Happy June! Rabbit, Rabbit!

I've been somewhat less active over the course of the last several days, as it seems that my body is going through an awkward stage of adjustment to life here... Everything I eat has been going through me at record speed, leaving me feeling rather weak and washed out. But I'm happy to report that it looks as though my energy is coming back up, and I'm working my way towards my customary health once again! And in the meantime I've had a lovely time enjoying the slower pursuits in Indian life.

Case in point: Last night while everyone else went off on a boat excursion, I headed back to the guesthouse and took my book up to the roof. We have a rooftop terrace with rows of rope beds, so I lounged up there, reading, listening to all the traffic, etc. I watched the sun set, and once it was too dim to read anymore, the moon started to rise. Full and dusty, it was a sight to see.

One of my favorite parts of the day here are the power outages. Luckily the guesthouse has a generator, so our fans and lights come back on fairly quickly -- but I love the moment when everything just stops. It's this unexpected breath of silence. It feels like a little vacation, and it always comes when you aren't expecting it (several times a day).

It seems like life here is full of surprises. And somehow that doesn't make them any less surprising. Like the monkey that ran through the main room of the guesthouse the other morning and jumped off the balcony (my friend said, "that was so zen. for that moment the only thing in the world was that monkey"). Or the pond with fountains that appeared in the middle of our main room last Sunday (the insanity of one of our professors in action). Or the tiny lizard that scampered across my bathroom floor...

Yesterday I had my first introduction to India T.V....... It was amazing. We watched part of a program depicting the goddess Durga battling and defeating the demon lord. It was over the top -- the ultimate in low-budget animations, ridiculous costumes, all sorts of melodrama. The facial expressions were priceless -- and I loved the chorus of all the other gods standing powerless, fearfully watching this battle. Then to top it off, there was a victory dance and a song of praise to end... Maybe I shouldn't mock, but it seems so strange to me to see T.V. adopted and used like this. Maybe I'd own a T.V. again if we had such campy heartfelt programs back home :)

It's far too hot in here to continue.
Much love to all, e

4 comments:

Rodcat1 said...

You have no idea how I wish I could study tabla! Especially with a real Indian guru. I first became interested as a young percussionist in the 60's listening to the collaborations of the Beatles, Ravi Shankar on sitar, and I believe it may have been Markandeya Mishra on tabla, though I am not sure. I reeber being totally captured by the complexity of the raga, the unpredictability, etc. I may have to get some lessons from you when you return. Blessings!!

Gemma said...

Monkeys! Lizards!!
!!!!
Are you taking pictures? I mean, I'm sure it's impossible to capture everything. Sometimes I wonder if it isn't better NOT to take pictures, since they are so inadequate. And your descriptions of things are so vivid, I almost feel I am there when I am reading. But, of course, half of my ideas about India are based on cultural stereotyping, and Holywood movies. So maybe pictures aren't a bad idea.

xoxo!

rose said...

monkeys running through rooms! I can see you're having all the fun. In the varanasi sites, there are beautiful pictures of sunrise and sunset--now I think of you when I see them. lizards in the bathroom, hmm... -stay healthy, love mom

Ben said...

Neat. That must have been the same full moon I saw here. At least I hope it was. It was so nice here I rushed home and got video of it, through a pine tree in the park.

love your dad