01 October, 2010

I just had a birthday!


Last weekend, in fact. The sky was blue, the air was crisp, and I celebrated my own personal new year.

My friend Marianne sent me her "famous birthday questions," and they got me thinking....
1. What were you doing (approx) 10 years ago around your birthday?
2. What was the most surprising thing that happened to you last year (good or bad - first thing that pops to mind!)
3. Where *might* you be in 10 years? Doesn't have to be true.

The first question alone got me thinking about the spiral of years stretching out behind me. Last year I spent my birthday with Bets, Jay and the girls (and now there's a new little boy in that beautiful family!).

Five years ago on my birthday I was newly settled in Berlin with excited uncertainty stretching out to the horizon.

And 10 years ago? I was newly settled in California, finding my way after a rocky start to my first year of college. Culture shock, confusion, loneliness, shattered expectations -- but also wonder and a bright sense of adventure. I remember getting a large package from my dad: he was visiting NYC and he sent me a peacock feather fan, and a gorgeous peacock shawl. That gift made me cry. The shawl has stayed with me through the many moves and now, 10 years later, it's draped over my computer.

The second question made all sorts of memories of the past year float through my mind. This was the year Renie died. This was the year I prepared for and took my first auditions. I played three solo recitals. I got my own spinning wheel. I stayed in the US all year. I spent more time in Minneapolis than I have in years (and love/miss it more than ever). I visited the Davis' -- twice! I spent a whole week at the cottage with my mum and love. I played Lilith (that's a close second for the most surprising thing).... These are surface events, markers -- but this year had depths stretching out underneath all of this. Lots of inner work. Time and quiet. Thinking, shifting, movement.

As for most surprising thing though? The fact that I've started jogging and am actually enjoying it! I always thought that there was something wrong with me, that I was simply incapable of running (I never actually ran the mile in school, never enjoyed sports because I couldn't run, etc). But I started out slowly, inspired by a group of Juniper Moon Farm shareholders that is training for a fall shearing 5K on November 7th (I'm hoping to attend and run)! So that's something that I would never have believed, had you told me on my last birthday.

And the last: where *might* I be in 10 years?
hmmm.....
I'm imaging us out in the woods. near water. Jacob's got a job at some awesome school with awesome students that lets him focus on the teaching he loves. We've built a space for art and performance things where I can hold workshops/retreats. A place where artists of different sorts can come together and collaborate, experiment, learn, heal, be inspired. A place where musicians can come together and find a new way of being with and performing on their instruments. A place where I can do my work and breathe easy (and dance!). A playful and safe place. This place has a prayer/meditation garden outside featuring my mother's artwork. We have a big sunny screened-in porch for Kitty B to do her bird watching. There are paths for walking and biking (and jogging! who knew!?). And of course, the water is near, for a good swim. Quiet and peaceful.

Sound good? I can't wait!

So. Happy new year to me!

I feel so loved. I have such wonderful family and friends. I love you so much. I hope we can connect more this next year. Send me your address and I'll send you a post card! That's it -- maybe this is the year of the post card!
xo to all

3 comments:

X.A.M. said...

Happy Birthday, E.! Wishing you a new year full of love and adventure.

Xaris

Anonymous said...

Love this Nora, just love it, happy birthday. I remember finding that peacock shawl in the Met. I was with Carol. So interesting to hear your thoughts. I loved jogging when I could do it, but didn't get into it until late twenties like you and now my joints won't let me. Though I still hope that may change. Happy Birthday dear, love you. POPS

Alyssa the Ragamuffin said...

Happy birthday! I'm so glad you were born. I hope you found a tiara somewhere because every gal should have one on her birthday. That's just good common sense.

We miss you and will certainly visit your artists' space by the water because it sounds heavenly.

-A