And then she asked me to sing something more for her.
It was so quiet back there in her little room, and I felt my voice freeze in my throat. What should I sing? How could I break the silence? I couldn't think of anything. Nothing felt right. So I blushed. And she drifted off to sleep.
The next morning she was back in the nausea/exhaustion/drug haze. I said my goodbyes and headed for the airport, knowing it was the last time I'd see her.
I'm so thankful that I got that last time with her -- that I got to be there for some of her care at the end, and that I got that last little glimpse of Renie as herself, apart from the cancer. But it also breaks my heart a little bit that I didn't sing anything more for her. That I -- the musician, the girl raised on folk songs and singing -- couldn't sing her one last song.
In one of the verses from the old song Irene Goodnight there is a line that says, "but the very last words I heard her say were 'please sing me one last song.'"
.....
At some point this spring I decided that I wanted to write a piece to play on my Masters recital about Renie. As a music performance student, my Masters recital is considered my thesis -- and I wanted mine to really reflect my journey through the Masters degree. Renie's illness and death were a huge character through this part of my life, so I wanted that represented somehow. I started improvising, and planning. I worked on the piece as a sort of therapy. Playing and working on bits of it as breaks in my practice sessions.
As the recital neared, however, I couldn't get the piece to take shape. I had all of these improvised fragments that I had gathered, but I just couldn't bring myself to compose something out of them. And so I just didn't. As I told the audience at the recital: this isn't a composition so much as it is a conversation; a glimpse of the conversation that I'm having with myself, my grief, my memories.
So here's a live recording from the recital for you all to hear.
Renie Goodnight from Eleanor Graham on Vimeo.
5 comments:
Eleanor- That piece was absolutely beautiful. I know I never met her, but your heart poured through it, and through your conversation. Thanks so much for posting this!
How beautifully she's still here.
Maybe this is the song that got caught in your throat before. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.
Eleanor, This piece is beautiful. As Kristina said, your heart really did pour through the music- The tenderness, poignancy, and love within the music speak volumes about your experience and your love for Renie.
Thank you for sharing.
-amelia
Oh, Eleanor, this moved me to tears. Your love infuses this musical conversation with such beauty, poignancy, grace and power. Thank you so much for sharing.
Hiro
Post a Comment